Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands."

It has been a busy week for me. I went to Austin over the weekend, did some light painting, and had to photograph a series of images that conveyed an emotion. The title is a quote by Roman philosopher Seneca.
On the way back from Austin on Sunday there was a great sunset between Coleman and Sweetwater. I pulled over and Kristen and I snapped a few pictures of the vibrantly colored sky.
Here is an abandoned house Morgan and I painted on Monday night. Good thing its still too cool at night for snakes. This was a paradise for them.

For my emotion I chose fear. I love the old school cinematography in horror films and I wanted to recreate that. After a night of shooting in Kristen's backyard and half a bottle of fake blood in the studio, I came out with some images that I think are some of the best I have shot of people. The guy in my pictures is Joseph and I had not met him before the shoot. He was great to work with and wasn't too shocked by what I was photographing when I told him over the phone. I switched the roles of Joseph and Kristen because I thought that it had a different feel and story based on who the "killer" was. The final image was shot in Kristen's backyard using her camera because it can control a flash wirelessly. If I hadn't already invested so much in Canon gear I probably would switch to Nikon after using her camera.



No comments: