Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tempting Death

      Here in Lubbock it sleeted, snowed, and iced from last night all they way until late this afternoon.  This created hazardous conditions for just getting around time but was no reason to keep me from shooting.  Luckily, Morgan had the same idea.  We hopped in my car and made the treacherous journey out to Justiceburg since it was the closest ghost town we knew how to get to.  The drive took forever because I could go over 50 and at some points on the highway 30 was too fast.  
The abandoned buildings we had painted last week had a shimmering layer of ice on them and there was sleet piled up around the area.  It was interesting seeing these places during the day.  One of the houses I looked into still had late '50s/ early '60s era clothing hanging in the closet.  Here is a shot of one of the buildings we painted:


We walked around a bit more and I got to get a closer look of the bus that caught my eye when we first arrived on Friday night.  The outside was still bright yellow but the inside was all rusted and stripped of just about everything.


As we were leaving, a building in the brush caught my eye so I turned down a small path and we came across the old school and playground that we were unable to see in the dark.  There was a very eery feel to the ruins of the school building.  Definitely going to come back here for some night pictures.  It was creepy during the day, i can't imagine what it will be like after the sun sets.


I wanted to go out tonight after the sun set but when I went out to get in my car i realized i wouldn't even be able to make it out of the parking lot.  Better luck next time.  Here are a few more from the trip.



No comments: