Friday, November 14, 2008

Last Week at a Glance

I haven't had internet access at my apartment for the past week so I'm a little behind.

Last Thursday I went to Boboli Gardens and the Pitti Palace in Oltrano (that's the other side of the river in Florence).  The gardens weren't very vibrant but that is because most of the flowers have died off. On Saturday the study abroad program I am in offered a free wine tasting at Castello di Verrazanno.  The castle is set in the northern part of the Chianti region and is named after the same guy the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge is named after.  We got a tour of the wine cellar and a 3 course meal with a wine tasting.  The region is known for their wild boars and that is where the name Verrazzanno comes from: wild boar territory.
On Sunday, there was a fair in Piazza di Santo Spirito that had a ton of antiques and clothing.  I got a stack of italian cookbooks for 2 euros and a nutcracker that is in the shape of a pair of legs.  It has gotten several laughs.
Monday, for class, we went to the Davanzati Palace and an artisan leather shop.  The guy who runs the leather shop is the only person in Florence that makes leather goods the traditional way.
Tomorrow I am going to a truffle festival in San Minioto.  Hopefully I can upload pictures sooner.  Here are some pictures from the past week and some photoshopped pictures I have been working on in class.


No comments: